This week, I decided I would begin regularly participating in the Homeschool Mother's Journal over at So You Call Yourself a Homeschooler? I'm really excited to finally have a great way to begin sharing more of what we do around here each week. It kind of makes me grin that I'm starting this little feature here at the beginning of Summer break. Even though we are taking a much needed siesta from our typical lessons, we have plans to continue our learning right through the Summer.
This week was a trying one for all of us here, on many levels. We spent 6 out of 9 days in either the ER, the hospital or seeing our regular doctor. Dragging four boys around to many of these planned appointments and unexpected ones too, was definitely not on my to-do list for the week. But, we're used to spending lots of time seeing doctors and my boys have learned how to be more patient because of it...to which I am grateful.
Our 7 year old son, C had surgery on Friday to fix his Bone Anchored Hearing Aid implant. It was loose and also causing him quite a bit of pain, so he hasn't been able to wear it normally. Even now, as he waits for it to heal, he can only wear his aid on a strap around his head which causes his hearing to be quite a bit less than what he's become so used to with his implant. Thank God for the ASL we learned starting when he was a tiny baby, as we've needed to fall back on it quite a bit these past couple weeks.
Note to self: brush up on sign language and make continuing to learn the language more a part of our everyday learning.
Thanking God for sustaining us during these difficult days. (above photo: yep, that's me all gowned up to take our son to the Operating Room.)
My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
- Spending time with Grandma JoAnn and Cousin Terri
- Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins
- Long bike rides with Daddy
Things I’m working on…
Oh, friends, my list is long. As we settle into Summer, we are gearing up for a week long camping trip soon...something this family of 6 has never done before. My husband, Jeff, has taken the bigger boys a few times, but this will be our first time going all together as a family. So, I'm packing. Washing laundry, making lists, washing more laundry and making lists. It's impossible for me to pick out clothes for four boys NOW, when they need these clothes to wear during the week. I can set a few things aside, but really...they go through so many clothes. I may just make them wear the same thing all week, just to keep my laundry heaps to a minimum...now that I'm mostly caught up.
I also have a lot of updating to do here at Devotional Motherhood, which I'm really excited to share with you soon. And, I've got quite a few blog posts I'm wrapping up this week.
I'm also in the throws of school planning for the Fall, like many of you. We are looking forward to MANY changes to our routine and schedule that I know are going to be such a positive thing for our family as a whole. We'll still continue homeschooling some at night, but instead of leaving our days wide open for whatever we feel like...they will be a bit more structured. I'll be sharing more about that and why, soon...along with all the fun unit studies we have planned for the year.
And...I'm working on a couple books, three actually. Well, four if you count the one I'm also writing with my boys. So excited! A couple of them are a collaborative effort that have been in the works for a while now. And one is a true story God has been writing on my heart since I was a little girl. I can barely contain how thankful I am that I GET to write for God! Truly, it is all Him. I could never write what's on my heart unless He was a part of the process. He Authors, I write.
And I'll just throw this one in here....I need to start exercising EVERY DAY! There. Done. I said it. Will someone keep me accountable, please?
I should just leave it at that...I'm Cooking...and thankful to be doing so. When our home became a water disaster back in March, forcing us to move out and into a one bedroom (with four young boys) apartment with a very tiny kitchen and NO OVEN...cooking was difficult at best. Now that we are moved back home and our home is no longer a construction zone, I have my kitchen back. So thankful. By nature, I'm not a great cook. I've never really enjoyed it either...but slowly, as the Lord leads and my heart is turned more and more toward Him, my desires are changing. I WANT to provide better, healthier meals for my family. MUCH healthier.
So, we embarking on a total overhaul of our eating habits beginning July 15. Why wait? Because our pantry if full and trying to make these changes while on vacation would not be a recipe for start-up success. So, July 15th, it is. This will be a HUGE undertaking for my family, as we haven't been the healthiest eaters. In fact, quite the opposite. But, it's time. God is leading us toward a healthier lifestyle and we need to follow Him on this. And it will be another journey I'll be sharing here at Devotional Motherhood.
I’m grateful for…
- The AWESOME (and much needed) date my husband and I were finally able to go on. We were reminded of just how much we miss one another when we're living life side by side, but often the constant noise and DOING part of life just keeps you going on auto-pilot and it's easy to take one another for granted. Dating your spouse is so important!
- My Mom, Mother-in-law and Cousin who stepped in to help out with our boys when we needed to be at the hospital so much this past week. They lightened our load and eased our burden so much.
- All of our beautiful friends and family who lifted us up in prayer when we needed it most this week.
- The new habit of waking EARLY (5am) so I can start my day in the quiet with Jesus. My Good Morning Girls online bible study group, led by my sweet friend, Shonda Knowlton, is such a blessing to me. We are reading the book, Anything, by Jennie Allen and spending time deep in the Word every day. And my Hello Mornings online group is amazing too, as they help keep me accountable to getting up and out of bed to be with God each day. I value my online friends so much!
- My boys! Oh, they just keep me on my knees. Motherhood is hard. It's amazing and it's beautiful...and it's hard. I've had many reasons lately to be deep in prayer for my sons, deeper than usual, it seems.....and for that, I'm thankful. I'm thankful to God that He hears every single one of my prayers.
...so many things. But, my heart this week, is for my sons. I'm praying that God would increase my faith and help me remember that they are His. I am praying for softened hearts and a way for this mama to communicate with them at the heart level more often.
I rewarded my kids this week by…
Letting them watch way too many cartoons because they were all sick, even after we decided to pull the plug on MOST TV, declaring a MEDIA BREAK for the Summer That was frustrating for me because we had done so well the week before without the added screen time each day. Attitudes were improving all around and we were actually beginning to enjoy our days without the early morning and sometimes late afternoon cartoons. Good habits are so hard to make, aren't they.
But, I think cartoons may be helpful when you're not feeling well.
It's a new week, though. Everyone is feeling much better and we've got some outdoors to get to.
Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
Unit Study ideas and resources on Pinterest.
A photo of my guys…
I gave my boys buzz cuts this weekend. Love these boys to pieces.